Back to Life …

… back to reality.

My first full day home in a week has been a busy one. Had to go clothes shopping for the Phoenix trip (there’s a no-jeans policy for holiday dinners in my wife’s family) then went to a friend’s house to get my wife’s hair trimmed and then went shoe shopping for her. By that point in our afternoon my knee had had enough and I rested in the car while she went in to grab a couple pairs of sandals for herself and some dressier slip-ons for me. (Mine turned out not to fit, so lesson learned, never buy shoes unless you can try them on yourself.)

I called the hospital to get an update on how Mom did overnight. She slept through the night, mostly, except for one nurse check when she was wide awake and clearly asked the nurse “where is everybody?” That makes me feel pretty bad about not actually telling her goodbye when we left yesterday, but to be fair and honest, she was not in a state of mind that would have grasped that information and properly processed it. Yesterday was rough for her all around. They tried again to get the full MRI done after giving her a stronger sedative but she was once more combative through the process, so we still only have a partial test to make a full diagnosis from. (She was also combative during the first one, where they got enough to be able to say that she’s had a stroke, just not how bad it is.) The next step is unclear, as they are doing everything they can to try and avoid putting her under general anesthesia, as there’s always a risk at her age that she’ll never come out of it. So at this point we’re waiting for the neurologist to come in tomorrow to assess the situation and work out a plan C.

Kenneth, the family friend and “stepson” that’s her medical power of attorney, went to go visit her last night after the MRI ordeal, but he said that she didn’t recognize him and that she said that she didn’t have any kids, so last night was a bad night for her.

The hardest part of this is not knowing what the prognosis is without that full MRI, and knowing the risks that you run in assuring that you get it. The rest of the situation is all details – getting a handle on her finances so I can take over their administration while she’s incapacitated and potentially getting her laptop shipped to me so I have a better idea of how to proceed.

Seems I can’t even be home without Mom being a major part of my blog posts. I imagine that’s going to be the case for some time, unfortunately.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s